Consumer Units in Tonbridge, Sevenoaks & All Surrounding Areas | Elite Electrical Kent

Since 2011, we’ve served as an accredited electrician undertaking Consumer Units for domestic and commercial clients throughout Kent and its surrounds – including in Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Bromley and Beckenham. We supply and expertly install a wide variety of consumer units sourced from reputable manufacturers, and provide tailored advice on finding the perfect product to suit the needs of your property.

As an accredited domestic and commercial electrician, we prioritise safety, energy efficiency and adherence to all relevant regulations. An upgrade can help you modernise your property, and if it’s been a while since you’ve had a new consumer unit fit, we recommend an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) before hand to ensure all factors are considered.

Types of Consumer Units

Consumer Unit – The most common type of UK consumer units is designed to protect domestic electrical circuits, making it ideal for residential properties in and around our principal service areas of Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Bromley and Beckenham. It typically consists of a main switch, RCDs and circuit breakers.

High-Integrity Consumer Unit – This type of consumer units provides additional protection against electric shock and fire. It includes multiple RCDs and circuit breakers, which are designed to isolate faults quickly. If you’re looking to spend a little more for added peace of mind, consider a high-integrity consumer units.

Amendment 3 Consumer Unit – One of the latest varieties on the market, this form of fuse board includes additional safety features, such as cable entry and exit points that are fire-resistant, and a locking mechanism to prevent unauthorised access.

Three-Phase Consumer Unit – If you operate a commercial property in or around Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Bromley and Beckenham, consider this style of consumer unit. They’re carefully designed to cater to higher levels of electrical power, by including three-phase RCDs and circuit breakers capable of handling greater loads.

Dual RCD Consumer Unit – This type of fuse board includes two RCDs, which provide additional protection against electric shock. Our domestic and commercial electricians recommend dual RCD consumer units for properties with older wiring, when a re-wire isn’t yet on the cards.

5 Reasons to Invest in a New Consumer Units

But why might you be considering bringing in an electrician for a consumer units in the first place? Here are a few common reasons our domestic and commercial electricians encounter while assisting clients in the Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Bromley and Beckenham areas.

  • If a property's existing fuse board is old or out dated, it may no longer meet current safety standards – such as those set out in Category P of the Building Regulations. This can pose a risk of electric shock or fire, and may require a new consumer units.
  • Planning a renovation? You may need to upgrade your electrical system with a consumer units that can accommodate an increased electrical load.
  • In some cases, where a property’s wiring is very old or damaged, it may be necessary to install a new fuse board. Sometimes sufficient improvements can be made simply through replacing damaged or worn components, and in others we’d recommend an upgrade of the entire system.
  • If you’ve had the same consumer unit for a long time and electrical regulations have evolved, it may be necessary to upgrade your fuse board to ensure compliance. This is especially true if a property is being sold or rented out.
  • Some situations we attend to around Tonbridge, Tunbridge Wells, Sevenoaks, Maidstone, Bromley and Beckenham see clients requiring additional electrical circuits in their property. The increased load may call for a new consumer units.

Time to invest in a new consumer units? Call in Tonbridge and Sevenoaks’s favoured domestic and commercial electrician on 07969 591 147 or 07525 423 344.